posted at Thursday, February 16th, 2017 at 8:00 AM | Cover Snark, Other Bloggishness
Welcome to Cover Snark, where the people are snarky and the covers quiver in fear. Since I don’t write many snarky book reviews here on A Reader of Fictions, Cover Snark is my outlet. If you click on the title of the book, where possible, I’ve linked to Goodreads. Clicking on the cover itself will show you the cover in a larger size, in most cases. Feel free to love covers I hate and vice versa. Let me know your thoughts in the comments!
Please note that you should by no means contact the author if you do not like their cover; they likely have ZERO control. Feel free to express opinions of the covers in the comments, but please do not @ an author on Twitter because of anything you’ve seen here.
Shiny and New:
1. The Witch Who Came In from the Cold Season One – Lindsay Smith, Max Gladstone, Cassandra Rose Clarke, Ian Tregillia, & Michael Swanwick
Thoughts: The covers for this SerialBox series have been on point, and this is no exception.
2. Alex & Eliza: A Love Story – Melissa de la Cruz
Thoughts: Cashing in on Fads: A Life Story.
3. Seriously Hexed (Seriously Wicked #3) – Tina Connolly
Thoughts: That’s about the least comfy place you could brew a spell. And what’s with the concentric circles in the top left corner?
4. Wishbones – Virginia MacGregor
Thoughts: “Feather covers are overdone, but the heroine’s name is ACTUALLY Feather. Surely, we can get away with it?”
5. Seize Today (Forget Tomorrow #3) – Pintip Dunn
Thoughts: I think I’ll leave today for the bug zapper to seize.
6. Devil in Ohio – Daria Polatin
Thoughts: I give it a 6.66 out of 10.
7. Contagion – Teri Terry
Thoughts: Con Tag Ion is a nonsensical title.
8. Invisible Emmie – Terri Libenson
Thoughts: She must walk into stuff a lot.
9. Freefall – Joshua David Bellin
Thoughts: Is she a space DJ?
10. The Hollow Girl – Hillary Monahan
Thoughts: Tagline gets a hell yes, but lbr horror covers aren’t really up my general alley.
11. Truth or Dare – Non Pratt
Thoughts: Hate the color choices, the font choices, and that it’s yet another bland cover with hearts on it. *sighs*
12. A Line in the Dark – Malinda Lo
Thoughts: I’m not opposed to minimalism, but this is a wee bit much maybe?
13. There’s Someone Inside Your House – Stephanie Perkins
Thoughts: I REALLY hope this is a placeholder cover. It could be, but it’s up at like every bookseller site ever, and placeholders usually SAY they’re placeholders.
14. I Am Not Your Perfect Mexican Daughter – Erika L. Sanchez
Thoughts: Imperfect daughters have imperfect braids.
15. Welcome to the Slipstream – Natalka Burian
Thoughts: Well, that guitar’s fucked.
16. The Memory Trees – Kali Wallace
Thoughts: Without the memory of earth.
17. Even the Darkest Stars – Heather Fawcett
Thoughts: *squints* Does she have a fox companion? Or maybe a coyote?
18. The Beautiful Lost – Luanne Rice
Thoughts: Pretty white people pouting prettily.
19. The Hummingbird Heart (Haunted Hearts Legacy #2) – A.G. Howard
Thoughts: The left half is lovely and the right half is absurd. Also, the fonts are awful, and the best seller note is WAY too big.
20. A Red Peace (Starfire #1) – Spencer Ellsworth
Thoughts: Is anyone else tragically reminded of The Phantom Menace pod racing?
21. The Lamb Will Slaughter the Lion – Margaret Killjoy
Thoughts: Oh my god, she has the perfect last name for this. Beautiful, creepy artwork.
23. Sovereign (Nemesis #2) – April Daniels
Thoughts: I don’t love the silhouette thing, especially in this pose. I do like the font treatments, though.
24. Ecdysis – Julianna Baggott
Thoughts: Is ecdysis the act of turning into a tree?
25. The Last Novelist (or, A Dead Lizard in the Yard) – Matthew Kressel
Thoughts: Why focus on the lizard when there’s a giant pufferfish RIGHT THERE?
26. Come See the Living Dryad – Theodora Goss
Thoughts: I don’t think she wants us to come see her.
27. Losing Heart Among the Tall – A. M. Dellamonica
Thoughts: Lovely artwork, though by no means the best of these.
28. The Scholast in the Low Waters Kingdom – Max Gladstone
Thoughts: I SHIP IT.
29. The Will to Battle (Terra Ignota #3) – Ada Palmer
Thoughts: What an oddly soothing cover about the will to fight.
30. A Tyranny of Queens (Manifold Words #2) – Foz Meadows
Thoughts: It’s the title font and little blue people who keep this from being a hit for me.
31. Beast & Crown – Joel Ross
Thoughts: Bald child angers me bc he reminds me of Aang, which reminds me of the tragedy that is Aangtara.
32. Little Wrecks – Meredith Miller
33. Joplin, Wishing – Diane Stanley
Thoughts: They look like they’re about to run lovingly into each other’s arms.
34. 11 Before 12 – Lisa Greenwald
Thoughts: Looks a bit more YA than MG to me, but I love the cover models who are the ones making it look older so gah IDEK.
35. The Summer of Bad Ideas – Kiera Stewart
Thoughts: SO PRETTY.
36. The End of the Day – Claire North
Thoughts: Mr. Poppins?
37. Besieged: Stories from The Iron Druid Chronicles (The Iron Druid Chronicles #0.3, #4.7, #8.6) – Kevin Hearne
Thoughts: “Bro, check out my sword.” “WTF, man, I don’t want to see your sword.”
US Take 1 vs. US Take 2: Now with more whiteness!
US Take 1 vs. US Take 2: Very minor change, but a good one. The teal makes the cover pop.
Australian vs. US: One hundred percent thought this was middle grade based on the US cover. Besides, I’m in love with the font treatment and color scheme of the Australian cover.
WTF of the Week:
WTF of the Week began as a special category for one cover I saw, but was so popular it became a recurring feature. Here, I highlight covers, both new and old, that I’ve found, which, upon viewing, made me either snort or say something along the lines of “Dear God, what is that thing?”
1. Reinventing Alexis – Jessica Sorensen
Thoughts: DIS BITCH. Also, seriously holy shit this color palette is awful and the filters gah.
2. Carnal Desire (The Onyx Club #3) – Sebastian Ex
Thoughts: When romance covers turn murdery. Such swoon.
3. Clean – Mia Kerick
Thoughts: Dear god, no. First, kill all of those fonts and never let them disgrace a cover ever again. Ditto to the fake liquid. Then maybe pluck this guy’s eyebrows a little or change the lighting, unless you’re going for a unibrow look.